Saturday, April 9, 2016

Sam part 4

I wanted to write (mostly for me) about the last days of Sam's life.  I know this has been 7 months but it's still hard for me.  She truly was an amazing little dog.  In July 2015 David and I found out Sam had bladder cancer.  The vet said she could still live another year.  I was devastated but thought she's 14 and I knew wouldn't live forever so I had about 1 more year to get ready to say goodbye.  I'd like to think she had a wonderful, long, happy life filled with love and joy.  We already had a long camping trip planned for later that month.  David, Sam and I got to spend over 2 weeks together.  I could tell she was deteriorating fast.  She was mostly sleeping not eating a lot and tried to potty about every 15 minutes.  When we returned from our vacation we went back to the vet were she said Sam only had day's left.  I don't think I had ever been so sad but I knew she was ready.  We didn't want her to suffer so we picked a Saturday to take her to the vet for the final time.  That morning she came to work with me (for just a few minutes) then we went to the bank drive through so she could get a treat (she didn't eat it) which she loved doing! After that David her and I all went to the farmers market.  We pushed her in her stroller.  Then we ordered her a double meat Philly cheese steak!  We let her eat all that she wanted which wasn't to much. (these pictures were all from her last day 9-05-15, you can see how tired she looks.)






It was actually nice weather so we went back home and relaxed in the sun in the back yard.  We then drove to the vet.  We tried to be strong so she wouldn't get scared.  Once there the vet gave her an antistatic type shot for her to be unconscious but still breathing.  We just pet her while she laid on my lap.  After a few minutes they gave her another shot to stop her breathing.  It was then we both started crying!  We took her home with us and buried her in her blanket I had made.  We cried for days and at times still do.  The next morning we planted some flowers and put some lights were she was placed.

Not a day goes by I don't think about her and I'm pretty sure David thinks about her daily too.  The vet made us a cute plaster print of her paw.  We also got lots of card and some flowers too.  She will always live on our heart.   Here are some of my favorite pictures of her. 

















This photo's are not in time order and some are duplicates from older post I know.   I have to many  favorites to post them all.  R.I.P. Samantha 1-15-01 - 9-05-15 (By the way her official akc name was Chocolate Covered SamSam) I know kind of a funny name but it seamed to go good with her heritage names and had to be unique)

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Sam!! This post made me cry. I can't imagine having to bring her into the vet like that and watch her stop breathing. I don't think I'd be able to. You have her such a good life! I'm excited for you that you found little Lucy to give a good life to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry also. I will miss her, but will get to meet Lucy when we are back home next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We feel so much for you--it will be a wonderful reunion someday when you can hold her again.

    ReplyDelete