Monday, March 14, 2016

health update.

I don't have a lot of news but I just thought I would fill you in on what I do know.  A few weeks ago I got a ct scan done.  The next day my nurse called me to say there was some spots they want to re check in a few months.  I got a copy of the report and was really worried the cancer was already in my lungs.  A week went by and my nurse called again, I told her I was concerned and she asked if I wanted to talk to the doctor about them.  I went in the next day and he told me he doesn't think that the spots are thyroid cancer or any other cancer. Some of them are common but one of them is not as common so they want to re-check it in June for more information.  He suspects that its residual tissue from a childhood illness.  Maybe from when I had pneumonia when I was young.  However if it is thyroid related I will know for sure next Wednesday when I get a body scan.  I have already officially started my ri-131 treatment processes.  It's about 3 weeks long. Today was the first day on my eating plan.  It's a low iodine diet for 12 days consisting of mostly fruits and veggies.  Then I will have to have 2 blood tests, 2 hormone injections, 2 body scans, and radiation.  I will also find out how much radiation they will give me based on that scan next week.  After the radiation I will be quarantined for a little while then get another body scan. The radiation shouldn't make me sick or lose my hair.  The most common side effects are a sore throat, trouble with saliva glands and food tasting different.  I have a follow up on April 4th with the doctor to go over the future plan.  Hopefully after this treatment I will be cancer free (if I'm not already) but will have to do check up's about every 6 months for a while.  My incision is healing nicely it's barely noticeable already. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Talitha! That sounds stressful. And how frustrating to not know for sure what's going on in your body. I hope you get the answers you want soon. You've been in our thoughts and prayers! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Talitha. Sounds like some hopeful positive news, but also some very stressful ones. We are praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete