Sunday, January 17, 2016

new year, new start?

By now I think you all know 2016 has not started out as I was hoping.  I had thyroid surgery at the end of December and was recovering well when I went to my follow up appointment and to my surprise they had found caner cells in the part they removed.  I think the surgeon was surprised as well.  I have been watching this growth for about 6 years now and have had multiple ultrasounds and 2 biopsy's none showing suspicion of cancer, but  because there was I had to go back into surgery so they could remove they rest of my thyroid to prevent any more cells from starting.  I got the pathology back from the second surgery with no cancer cells found.  This is good because it means hopefully it hasn't spread yet. They aren't certain yet though.  I don't go back to the endocrinologist until February 17th.  That's when he will tell me what our next step. Most likely I will then have a radioactive iodine treatment, a few weeks later.  This kills any thyroid tissue left (they usually don't get  all tissue in surgery because it 's to close or touches other parts).  Because thyroid tissue is the only tissue that can absorb iodine they put the radiation in iodine form so no other body parts get the radiation.  Then its a mater of regulating my thyroid hormone levels through medication and blood test.  Follow up checks will be likely every few months.  My exact diagnosis was stage 2, follicular carcinoma, minimally invasive, partially encapsulated.  Thyroid cancer is one of the most curable kinds of cancer.  Although there is better diagnosis's then mine my surgeon says he believes I have a 98% chance of being cured.  After treatment most likely no cells will start growing again, but in case  they do, they grow very slowly and people can live nearly as long of a life with them.  My second surgery went well also.  I am already feeling good and my scar looks great!  It's not to swollen or big.  I like the surgeon I had, Dr. King.  He said it looks great because my body was healing good not because his great work.  I do have a few pictures I could add but wasn't sure if anyone really wanted to see them.  This information is all how I understand it to be and hopefully correct.  I'll keep you all posted.  Keeping my fingers crossed this will be all behind me in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment