Saturday, September 12, 2015

wisconsin III

To finish up our road trip we left Milwaukee and headed to Elkhart Lake Wi to go to see some car racing at Road America.  David wanted to go here since we were close and he hadn't been there before.  He loves most all car racing! I have been to NASCAR and follow that a little but this was different. This racing is called IMSA (continental tire series). The track wasn't in an oval.  It's called a road course and has lots of turns.  David pick us a camp site right along the track.  When we got there it was super rainy!  It pretty much poured all day.  The next morning we were woken up to some of the loudest noise I have ever heard. VROOM-VROOM  Sam was really scared and didn't like it at all.  She was shaking a lot.  It only lasted 15 mins.  It was the practice for the Daytona prototype cars which were going to race for 2 1/2 hours the next afternoon.  There was some other races throughout the day.  The cars were quitter, but still loud.






we camped right at this fence

pit row
  After the racing ended for the day we walked around and checked out the booths of car stuff. The next morning we woke up again but this time the race cars hadn't started practicing yet.  Shortly thereafter they did though.  Once again Sam was scared! We decided to go ahead and leave before the big finally race.  We didn't think Sammy could handle the noise.  Hopefully David doesn't feel he missed out. Once we decided to go we pretty much just drove and drove and drove.  David drove as much as he could, then we would just find somewhere to eat and sleep.  I tried to drive once.  That was a disaster! I've never ever tried it before.  David said I should know how to so I attempted after we left a rest area I tried.  I had to merge right onto the freeway with road construction and it seamed so fast and scary I couldn't believe it! I couldn't see out the windows or mirrors very well and I was worried a semi-truck would try to pass me (because I was slow) and it made so nervous because they change the air and kind of make you swerve.  I had to pull over as soon as I could.  I think I went about 3 miles and held my breath the whole time! I even started crying.  He thought it would be easy for me to try it on the freeway because there was no turns and stuff, but I think I should have tried it on slow roads so I would be more comfortable at slower speeds and use to how it drives before going fast.  We just drove straight the rest of the way home. Sammy sleep most of the drive.
 David made really good time by driving long hours. We took the I-90 there but the I-94 home.  I think the 94 was prettier and less construction even though it's a little longer.  We passed a ton of sunflower fields but really didn't stop for any site seeing.
We ended up getting home earlier then expected.  We were going to meet up with my parents at Spokane one more time before they went on there mission but it turned out we were running early and they were later then expected so we ended up getting to see them for about 5 minutes close to home.  Caleb took care of you garden for us.  It was really hot while we were gone.  He did a good job but I think the plants could have used even more water.  He picked so many veggies for us. 
Thanks Caleb.  We had a good time but we were all ready to be home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment